Cupcake/Cake Stand

I LOVE all the cute cupcake stands out there, but couldn't bring my thrifty self to spend the money on one. That's like a whole new outfit for me!

So I saw homemade stands out there in blogland that inspired me to make my own.

There are so many variations, but this is what I put together.
I bought 2 pieces of foam board from the Dollar Tree. I cut my platforms the sizes that I wanted (9 1/2", 13 1/2", & 17 1/2" squares) and then made the columns in between out of pieces of the leftover foam board.

To cut the columns like mine, the top one is 4 pieces of 4" x 3", the middle one is 4" x 5 1/2", and the bottom platform holding it all up is 2" x 14".
This was my first to do, so I learned some things in the process. Here are some other ideas to use also.

For the platforms:
*Mod Podge them to match your decor and they would be super cute!
*Add ribbon around the edges...I think this is a must.
*Use 2 thicknesses of cardboard glued together instead of foam board.
*Make them circles or whatever crazy shape you think would be fun.

For the columns:
*Use stirofoam cylinders wrapped in pretty paper.
*Use the containers salt comes in...now I'll never throw away another paper salt container again (my hubby is going to love that).
*If painting, use acrylic instead of spray.
*Paint the pieces before gluing them on if you're worried about what it looks like underneath.
*Make them all the same size, or do different sizes like I did.

This is underneath each one...tried spray paint on the first one.
Next time I'm sure I'll be a little neater about things, but nobody sees underneath anyways.
Wrapping the columns in paper would hide where you glued them together also.I didn't connect all 3 tiers to each other because I wanted to be able to not have to use all 3 tiers. If you want it really sturdy though just hot glue them together.

This is a disposable type of thing, but I'll make mine last until it doesn't look presentable anymore.
Now go fill one up with those beautiful Valentine's Day cupcakes!
Happy Partying! (Even if that's not a word!)

Linking up to Sisters' Stuff & Tea Rose Home!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...