Topiaries

I have always loved the look of topiaries.  I have looked at dozens of pictures of them to see what I really liked.  I knew I wanted to make them...and cheap.  So this is what I came up with.

I went to the wonderful Dollar Tree and bought 2 nerf type balls, a bag of moss and 2 glass vases/bowls.  I already had 2 dowel rods and 2 squares of styrofoam.
I looked for the green moss at the craft stores, but didn't want to spend $7 on it (or even $4 with a coupon for that matter).  I made these Easter baskets a couple of years ago so I thought the same technique might work for this project too.

I put hot glue on the balls and pressed the moss onto it.  The places I didn't get covered well I shot some hot glue and pressed into it a little wad of those messy pieces you get when you're taking the moss out of the bag.
I actually like how they looked just sitting in the vases.  I might have to make some like this as well.
After they were covered I spray painted them green.
You can see really up close they aren't covered completely, but in person you would never know
 I spray painted the vases black and painted the dowel rods brown.

I used scissors to poke a hole in the ball and stuck the dowel rod in until it was sturdy.

I cut my styrofoam to fit and pressed it into the vase until it wouldn't move around.
Then I stuck the other end of the dowel rod into the foam.

I like the kind of messy, but simple look of them.
My mantle is slowly evolving into something I like.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Nicci said...

That looks really good Lan!

Victoria Lake said...

They turned out awesome! Seems like you have been wanting to do those forever! Glad your mantle is coming together :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...