No Sew 4th of July Shirts

We had to have a dramatic before picture.

 The finished product.

 We are ready to celebrate the 4th of July! All stocked up on cotton candy and glow in the dark paraphernalia.

If you want to make your own, I didn't take pictures in the process, but here's the explanation.

Lay a tank top down on the large white t-shirt and cut around the edge leaving about an extra 4" on the sides to make ties and cut the straps about 4-5" longer too.  You'll have 2 pieces and while they are still laying on top of each other cut strips horizontally, about 1 1/2" thick, from the arm hole to the bottom.

I put the shirt on the girl first and then tied the sides in knots.  Do the same for the straps.

To paint them I used this genius idea I read on Pinterest forever ago.  Use any spray bottle (I used a cleaned out detangler bottle) and put some acrylic paint and water in it.  Shake well and spray.  It doesn't get stiff like real spray paint, isn't expensive like fabric spray paint, and I'm pretty sure won't wash out...this has yet to be tested.

For stars and stripes you can use tape or I just held 2 pieces of cardboard and sprayed and moved them down as I went.  I cut out the stars from a couple old sticky name tags, but you could use tape or buy star stickers.  I told them we were going for a "vintage" style...meaning they're not perfect.

They love them, I love them, Daddy loves that I didn't make him or brother one.

Have a safe and Happy 4th everyone!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...