Rainbow Rice

This week I'm trying to be more fun, I guess you could say.  I realized that I don't play and craft with my girls as much as I would like.  I'm being a stay-at-home mom, but have really been more of a run errands and try to get things done mom.
Ever feel that way?

So I'm going to try to balance it out and enjoy these early years with my kids while they're not at school all day.  And for the one that IS at school all day, try to do some fun & creative things when she's home.

I found this fun idea to do with rice on Pinterest...I know I'm not the only addict out there.

All you need is rice, food coloring and rubbing alcohol.  I didn't end up using nearly as much food coloring as what I read to use.  I would just add more if you want the color richer.
I used about 1/2 TBS of food coloring (at the very most 1 TBS) mixed with 3 TBS of alcohol and dumped it in 4 cups of rice inside of a ziplock bag.

I used what liquid food coloring I had and made green and yellow.  I had some of the gel food coloring and it worked fine, but I think it takes more to make the color as vibrant.

The girls liked helping mix it up in the bags.
 After it's all colored you spread it out on a cookie sheet and let it sit in the sun.  It doesn't take long for it to dry.
I dumped ours in some plastic containers, knowing full well it would never stay there, however.  
 
She asked if she could mix the colors...like she wouldn't have done it anyways.
So I swept off the porch really good so that we could recollect the rice and play again later.
 It made for a great flower garden, or place to bury Barbies, whichever you prefer.
My girls love playing in the sand, and this is somewhat of a substitute.

*Oh, and why on earth do I have all of that rice?  My mom brought it to me because it was old and was starting to get bugs in it.  I didn't have to buy the rice, so it made an even more fun activity.  And we only found one bug the whole time. :)

Here's the link I got the idea from.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...